PreventionBy Mayo Clinic staff
There's no sure way to prevent cyclothymia. However, treatment at the earliest indication of a mental health disorder can help prevent cyclothymia from worsening. Long-term preventive treatment also can help prevent minor episodes from becoming full-blown episodes of mania or depression.
- Cyclothymic disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Stovall J. Bipolar disorder in adults: Epidemiology and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 30, 2012.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Muzina DJ. Bipolar spectrum disorder: Differential diagnosis and treatment. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2007;34:521.
- Stovall J. Bipolar disorder in adults: Pharmacotherapy for acute mania, mixed episodes, and hypomania. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Ebert MH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=10. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 31, 2012.
- Kung S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 28, 2012.