DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
What ages you most? Surprisingly, it might not be wrinkles or gray hair, but dark circles under your eyes. Dark circles under eyes usually aren't a sign of exhaustion or serious illness, though they can make you feel old, unhealthy and tired. Dark circles under eyes affect both men and women, often starting in adulthood, although children can develop dark circles under eyes, too.
- Roh MR, et al. Infraorbital dark circles: Definition, causes, and treatment options. Dermatologic Surgery. 2009;35:1163.
- Eberlin S, et al. Effects of a Brazilian herbal compound as a cosmetic eyecare for periorbital hyperchromia ("dark circles"). Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2009;8:127.
- Oppenheimer JJ. The nose and its relationship to the eyes. Current Allergy and Asthma Report. 2010;10:75.
- Roh MR, et al. Treatment of infraorbital dark circles by autologous fat transplantation: A pilot study. British Journal of Dermatology. 2009;160:1022.
- Momosawa A, et al. Combined therapy using Q-switched ruby laser and bleaching treatment with tretinoin and hydroquinone for periorbital skin hyperpigmentation in Asians. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2008;121:282.