DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Depression is a medical illness that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. Depression can cause physical symptoms, too.
Also called major depression, major depressive disorder and clinical depression, it affects how you feel, think and behave. Depression can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems. You may have trouble doing normal day-to-day activities, and depression may make you feel as if life isn't worth living.
More than just a bout of the blues, depression isn't a weakness, nor is it something that you can simply "snap out" of. Depression is a chronic illness that usually requires long-term treatment, like diabetes or high blood pressure. But don't get discouraged. Most people with depression feel better with medication, psychological counseling or other treatment.
- Mood disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Nov. 28, 2011.
- Depression. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/complete-index.shtml. Accessed Nov. 28, 2011.
- Eisendrath SJ, et al. Psychiatric disorders. In: McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=13381. Accessed Nov. 28, 2011.
- Depressive disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric_disorders/mood_disorders/depressive_disorders.html#top. Accessed Nov. 28, 2011.
- Krishnan R. Epidemiology, pathogenesis and neurobiology of depression. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 28, 2011.
- Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with major depressive disorder. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Nov. 28, 2011.
- Viibryd (prescribing information). St. Louis, Mo.: Forest Pharmaceuticals; 2011. http://www.frx.com/pi/viibryd_pi.pdf. Accessed Nov. 28, 2011.
- Lynch T, et al. The effect of cytochrome P450 metabolism on drug response, interactions, and adverse effects. American Family Physician. 2007;76:391.
- Katon W, et al. Initial treatment of depression in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 28, 2011.
- Deligiannidis K, et al. Complementary and alternative medicine for the treatment of depressive disorders in women. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2010;33: 441.