ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Scratching the itchy rash associated with dermatitis can cause open sores, which may become infected. These skin infections can spread and may, very rarely, become life-threatening.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=45. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- Dermatitis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic_disorders/dermatitis/definition_of_dermatitis.html?qt=dermatitis&alt=sh. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- Weston WL, et al. Overview of dermatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- Atopic dermatitis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disorders. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Atopic_Dermatitis/default.asp. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 5, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Atopic dermatitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed March 22, 2013.
- Dermatitis. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed March 22, 2013.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 10, 2013.