Treatments and drugsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Dermatitis treatment varies, depending on the cause. Using corticosteroid creams, applying wet compresses and avoiding irritants are the cornerstones of most dermatitis treatment plans. Light therapy, which involves exposing your skin to controlled amounts of natural or artificial light, also may be used in some cases.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=45. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- Dermatitis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic_disorders/dermatitis/definition_of_dermatitis.html?qt=dermatitis&alt=sh. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- Weston WL, et al. Overview of dermatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- Atopic dermatitis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disorders. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Atopic_Dermatitis/default.asp. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 5, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Atopic dermatitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed March 22, 2013.
- Dermatitis. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed March 22, 2013.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 10, 2013.