Lifestyle and home remediesBy Mayo Clinic staff
If you have diabetes insipidus:
- Prevent dehydration. As long as you take your medication and have access to water when the medication's effects wear off, you'll prevent serious problems. Plan ahead by carrying water with you wherever you go, and keep a supply of medication in your travel bag, at work or at school.
- Wear a medical alert bracelet or carry a medical alert card in your wallet. If you have a medical emergency, a health care professional will recognize immediately your need for special treatment.
- Diabetes insipidus. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/insipidus/. Accessed Dec. 4, 2012.
- Kronenberg HM, et al. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-3/0/1555/0.html#. Accessed Dec. 4, 2012.
- Diabetes insipidus. National Institutes of Health Clinical Center. http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/patient_education/pepubs/di.pdf. Accessed Dec. 4, 2012.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Dec. 4, 2012.
- Di Iorgi N, et al. Diabetes insipidus Diagnosis and management. Hormone Research in Paediatrics. 2012;77:69.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Dec. 4, 2012.
- Gardner DG, et al. Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=13. Accessed Dec. 4, 2012.
- Halter JB, et al. Hazzard's Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=540. Accessed Dec. 6, 2012.
- Bichet DG. Treatment of nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed Dec. 6, 2012.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 17, 2012.