Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic staff
Living with diabetic neuropathy can be difficult and frustrating because there are often no outward signs, making it hard for people to understand your condition. If you find yourself getting down, it may help to talk to a counselor or therapist. Or, some people find that support groups — either in person or online — are helpful because you're talking to others who truly understand what you're going through. In addition, members of support groups can offer you encouragement, as well as advice about living with diabetic neuropathy. Ask your doctor if there any support groups exist in your area, or for a referral to a therapist. The American Diabetes Association offers online support through its website.
- Diabetic neuropathies: The nerve damage of diabetes. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/neuropathies.pdf. Accessed Nov. 10, 2011.
- Feldman EL, et al. Treatment of diabetic neuropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 10, 2011.
- Bril V, et al. Evidence-based guideline: Treatment of painful diabetic neuropathy: Report of the American Academy of Neurology, the American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnosticc Medicine, and the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Neurology. 2011;76:1758.
- Ultram (tramadol hydrochloride), Ultracet (tramadol hydrochloride/acetaminophen): Label change. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm213264.htm. Accessed Nov. 20. 2011.
- Neuropathy (nerve damage). The American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-withdiabetes/complications/neuropathy/. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes, 2011. American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care. 2011;34(suppl):11.
- Kidney disease (neuropathy). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/kidney-disease-nephropathy.html. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Amato AA, et al. Peripheral neuropathy. In: Fauci AS, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9148461. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Diabetic neuropathy. The AGS Foundation for Health in Aging. http://www.healthinaging.org/public_education/diabetes/neuropathy.php. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Diabetic neuropathies. American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:956.