DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Diabetic neuropathy is a type of nerve damage that can occur if you have diabetes. High blood sugar can injure nerve fibers throughout your body, but diabetic neuropathy most often damages nerves in your legs and feet.
Depending on the affected nerves, symptoms of diabetic neuropathy can range from pain and numbness in your extremities to problems with your digestive system, urinary tract, blood vessels and heart. For some people, these symptoms are mild; for others, diabetic neuropathy can be painful, disabling and even fatal.
Diabetic neuropathy is a common serious complication of diabetes. Yet you can often prevent diabetic neuropathy or slow its progress with tight blood sugar control and a healthy lifestyle.
- Diabetic neuropathies: The nerve damage of diabetes. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/neuropathies.pdf. Accessed Nov. 10, 2011.
- Feldman EL, et al. Treatment of diabetic neuropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 10, 2011.
- Bril V, et al. Evidence-based guideline: Treatment of painful diabetic neuropathy: Report of the American Academy of Neurology, the American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnosticc Medicine, and the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Neurology. 2011;76:1758.
- Ultram (tramadol hydrochloride), Ultracet (tramadol hydrochloride/acetaminophen): Label change. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm213264.htm. Accessed Nov. 20. 2011.
- Neuropathy (nerve damage). The American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-withdiabetes/complications/neuropathy/. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes, 2011. American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care. 2011;34(suppl):11.
- Kidney disease (neuropathy). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/kidney-disease-nephropathy.html. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Amato AA, et al. Peripheral neuropathy. In: Fauci AS, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9148461. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Diabetic neuropathy. The AGS Foundation for Health in Aging. http://www.healthinaging.org/public_education/diabetes/neuropathy.php. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Diabetic neuropathies. American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:956.