Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic staff
Living with swallowing difficulties can be challenging. Dysphagia may affect your interaction with friends and family, your productivity at work, and the overall quality of your life.
You may find that talking to a counselor or therapist can help you cope with the effects of swallowing difficulties. Or you may find encouragement and understanding in a support group.
Although support groups aren't for everyone, they can be good sources of information. Group members often know about the latest treatments and tend to share their own experiences. If you're interested, your doctor may be able to recommend a support group in your area.
- Dysphagia. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/dysph.asp. Accessed Sept. 2, 2011.
- Swallowing trouble. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/swallowingTrouble.cfm. Accessed Sept. 2, 2011.
- Dysphagia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec02/ch012/ch012b.html. Accessed Sept. 2, 2011.
- Feeding and swallowing disorders in children. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/swallowing/FeedSwallowChildren.htm. Accessed Sept. 2, 2011.
- McQuaid KR. Gastrointestinal disorders. In: McPhee SJ, et al., eds. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2011. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Medical Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6395. Accessed Sept. 8, 2011.
- Hirano I, et al. Dysphagia. In: Longo DL, et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Medical Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9112744. Accessed Sept. 8, 2011.
- Garcia JM. Managing dysphagia through diet modifications. American Journal of Nursing. 2010;110:26.
- Mendelson MH. Esophageal emergencies, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and swallowed foreign bodies. In: Tintinall JE, et al., eds. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Medical Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6360571. Accessed Sept. 8, 2011.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Sept. 13, 2011.