PreventionBy Mayo Clinic staff
To help prevent a dislocation:
- Take precautions to avoid falls. Get your eyes checked on a regular basis, and if you're taking medications, ask your doctor if any of those drugs have the potential to make you dizzy. Also, be sure your home is well lighted and that you remove any potential tripping hazards from the areas where you walk.
- Wear the suggested protective gear when you play contact sports.
Once you've dislocated a joint, you may be more susceptible to future dislocations. To avoid a recurrence, follow the specific strength and stability exercises that you and your doctor have discussed for your injury.
- Questions and answers about shoulder problems. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Shoulder_Problems/default.asp. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Hip dislocation. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00352. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Abate J. Dislocations and soft tissue injuries of the knee. In: Browner BD, et al. Skeletal Trauma: Basic Science, Management, and Reconstruction. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/224870070-2/0/1867/60.html?tocnode=56559976&fromURL=60.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2220-6..10055-6_2739. Accessed Nov. 1, 2010.
- Elbow dislocations and fracture-dislocations. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00029. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Micheo W, et al. Glenohumeral instability. In: Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/224870070-4/0/1678/16.html?tocnode=55147626&fromURL=16.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-4007-1..50015-8_189. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Handout on health: Sports injuries. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Sports_Injuries/default.asp. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Preventing falls among seniors. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/spotlite/falltips.htm. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.