ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Dizziness can increase your risk of falling and injuring yourself. Experiencing dizziness while driving a car or operating heavy machinery can increase the likelihood of an accident. You may also experience long-term consequences if an existing health condition that may be causing your dizziness goes untreated.
- Branch WT. Approach to the patient with dizziness. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9096086. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Tusa RJ. Dizziness. Medical Clinics of North America. 2009;93:263.
- Dizziness and vertigo. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/ear_nose_and_throat_disorders/approach_to_the_patient_with_ear_problems/dizziness_and_vertigo.html. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Hyperthermia: Too hot for your health. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/hyperthermia-too-hot-your-health. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Lai YT, et al. Epidemiology of vertigo: A national survey. Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. 2011;145:110.
- Kutz JW. The dizzy patient. Medical Clinics of North America. 2010;94:989.
- Post RE, et al. Dizziness: A diagnostic approach. American Family Physician. 2010;82:361.
- Barton J. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Dizziness and motion sickness. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/dizzinessMotionSickness.cfm. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Falls and fractures. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/falls-and-fractures. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Eggers SD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 12, 2012.