When to see a doctorBy Mayo Clinic staff
Dizziness is often temporary and goes away on its own. These self-care tips may help:
- Move slowly. When you stand up from lying down, move slowly. Many people experience dizziness if they stand up too quickly.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Staying well hydrated can help prevent or relieve several types of dizziness.
- Avoid caffeine and tobacco. By restricting blood flow, these substances can make symptoms worse.
Schedule a doctor's appointment
Call your doctor if your dizziness is accompanied by:
- A new, different or severe headache
- Falling or trouble walking
- Hearing loss
Seek emergency medical care
Dizziness can be a symptom of a serious medical problem, such as a heart attack or a stroke. Call 911 or have someone drive you to the emergency department if your dizziness is associated with:
- Chest pain
- Heart palpitations
- Shortness of breath
- Changes in your vision or speech
- Serious head injury
- Leg or arm weakness
- Loss of consciousness that lasts more than just a few minutes
- Tusa RJ. Dizziness. Medical Clinics of North America. 2009;93:263.
- Dizziness and motion sickness. American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/dizzinessMotionSickness.cfm. Accessed Aug. 10, 2012.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..X0001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05283-2&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Aug. 10, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Kerber KA. Vertigo and dizziness in the emergency department. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. 2009;27:39.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. September 4, 2012.