DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
|The genetic basis of Down syndrome|
Down syndrome is a genetic disorder that causes lifelong mental retardation, developmental delays and other problems. Down syndrome varies in severity, so developmental problems range from moderate to serious.
Down syndrome is the most common genetic cause of learning disabilities in children.
Increased understanding of Down syndrome and early interventions make a big difference in the lives of both children and adults with Down syndrome.
- Facts about Down syndrome. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/downsyndrome.cfm. Accessed Feb. 14, 2011.
- Barss V, et al. Overview of prenatal screening and diagnosis of Down syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 14, 2011.
- Esbensen AJ. Health conditions associated with aging and end of life of adults with Down syndrome. International Review of Research in Mental Retardation. 2010;39:107.
- What causes Down syndrome? National Down Syndrome Society. http://www.ndss.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=23&id=60&Itemid=234. Accessed Feb. 14, 2011.
- Genetic conditions: Down syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=downsyndrome. Accessed Feb. 14, 2011.
- ACOG practice bulletin no. 77: Screening for fetal chromosomal abnormalities. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2007;109:217.
- Birth defects: Down syndrome. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/birthdefects/DownSyndrome.htm. Accessed Feb. 15, 2011.
- Roizen NJ. Clinical features and diagnosis of Down syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2011.
- Birth defects. In: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Your Pregnancy and Childbirth Month to Month. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2010:343.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 15, 2011.
- Chiu RWK, et al. Non-invasive prenatal assessment of trisomy 21 by multiplexed maternal plasma DNA sequencing: Large scale validity study. British Medical Journal. 2011;342:7401.