ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Complications of serious drug reactions can include:
- Anaphylaxis. This severe allergic reaction can be life-threatening and is a medical emergency.
- Drug-induced anemia. This occurs when a drug causes an immune system reaction that destroys blood cells.
- Serum sickness. Serum sickness can cause serious symptoms and lead to organ damage. Signs and symptoms include rash and joint pain, usually starting a week or so after you begin taking a drug.
Drug reactions can result in:
- Taking a less effective medication. If you have an allergic or nonallergic adverse reaction to a medication, you may need to switch to a medication that may not work as well.
- The need to use a drug that causes a reaction. If there's no other drug that works, you may need to use a drug that causes long-term, bothersome side effects.
- Celik J. Drug allergy. In: Adkinson NF. Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05659-5..00068-1&isbn=978-0-323-05659-5&uniqId=281389325-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05659-5..00068-1. Accessed Sept. 12, 2011.
- Medications and drug allergic reactions: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/medications-and-drug-allergic-reactions.aspx. Accessed Sept. 12, 2011.
- Drug hypersensitivity. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/immunology_allergic_disorders/allergic_and_other_hypersensitivity_disorders/drug_hypersensitivity.html#v996144. Accessed Sept. 12, 2011.
- Pichler WJ, et al. Drug hypersensitivity reactions: Pathomechanism and clinical symptoms. Medical Clinics of North America. 2010;94:645.
- Granowitz EV, et al. Antibiotic adverse reactions and drug interactions. Critical Care Clinics. 2008;24:421.
- Possible side-effects from vaccines. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/VACCINES/vac-gen/side-effects.htm. Accessed Sept. 12, 2011.
- Scherer K, et al. Danger signs in drug hypersensitivity. Medical Clinics of North America. 2010;94:681.
- Romano A, et al. Recent advances in the diagnosis of drug allergy. Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunolgy. 2007;7:299.
- Aberer W, et al. Provocation tests in drug hypersensitivity. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2009;29:567.