- Lie down or tilt the head so that the affected ear faces up. Gently pull the ear lobe up and back for adults (down and back for children) to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for several (about 5) minutes to allow the medicine to run to the bottom of the ear canal. A sterile cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear opening to prevent the medicine from leaking out. At first, your doctor may want you to put more medicine on the cotton plug during the day to keep it moist.
To keep the medicine as germ-free as possible, avoid touching the dropper or applicator tip to any surface as much as possible (including the ear). Also, always keep the container tightly closed.
For patients using hydrocortisone and acetic acid ear drops:
- Do not wash the dropper or applicator tip, because water may get into the medicine and make it weaker. If necessary, you may wipe the dropper or applicator tip with a clean tissue.
Do not use corticosteroids more often or for a longer time than your doctor ordered. To do so may increase the chance of side effects.
Do not use any leftover medicine for future ear problems without first checking with your doctor. This medicine should not be used if certain kinds of infections are present. To do so may make the infection worse.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For hydrocortisone and acetic acid
- For ear drops dosage form:
- For ear infections:
- Adults and children over 3 years of age—Use 3 to 5 drops in the affected ear every four to six hours for the first twenty-four hours, then 5 drops three to four times daily.
- Children under 3 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For ear infections:
If you miss a dose of this medicine, apply it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Do not stop treatment abruptly.
Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.