It is very important that you use this medicine only as directed. Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, and do not use it for a longer time than your doctor ordered. To do so may cause your skin to become irritated. You may need to use this medicine for several weeks or months before your skin starts to look better. Applying extra medicine will not make it work faster.
This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use it on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Before applying this medicine, wash the affected area(s) with warm water and mild soap. Rinse well and gently pat dry.
- Apply a small amount of the medicine, using enough to cover the affected area(s) of the skin (e.g., forehead, chin, cheeks, chest, shoulders), and gently rub it in. You should apply the medicine to the whole area usually affected by acne, not just to the pimples themselves.
Benzamycin® Pak is available in one foil pouch that has two separated compartments. If you are using this brand, open the pouch and mix the contents in the palm of your hand thoroughly. Apply the product right away after mixing. Do not mix or apply the medicine near an open flame.
After washing or shaving, it is best to wait 30 minutes before applying the medicine. The alcohol in the mixed medicine may irritate freshly washed or shaved skin.
Avoid washing the acne-affected area(s) too often. This may dry your skin and make your acne worse. Washing with a mild, bland soap 2 or 3 times a day should be enough, unless you have oily skin. If you have any questions about this, check with your doctor.
Do not use this medicine after the expiration date on the label. The medicine may not work properly. Get a fresh supply from your pharmacist. Check with your pharmacist if you have any questions about this.
To help keep your acne under control, keep using this medicine for the full time of treatment. You may have to continue using this medicine every day for months or even longer in some cases.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For topical dosage form (gel):
- For acne:
- Adults, teenagers, and children 12 years of age and older—Apply a thin layer to the affected area(s) of the skin two times a day (morning and evening), or as directed by your doctor.
- Children below 12 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For acne:
If you miss a dose of this medicine, apply it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
Keep the Benzamycin® Pak in the foil pouch until you are ready to use it. Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze.
Store the Benzamycin® topical gel in the refrigerator, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after 3 months.