You may notice redness, stinging, burning or irritation when you first start using this medicine. It may take up to 6 months before you notice full beneficial effects, even if you use the medicine every day. Check with your health care professional at any time skin irritation becomes severe or if your age spots get darker in color.
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, it is especially important to avoid using the following skin products on the same area as mequinol and tretinoin topical solution:
- Hair products that are irritating, such as permanents or hair removal products
- Skin products that cause sensitivity to the sun, such as those containing spices or limes
- Skin products containing a large amount of alcohol, such as astringents, shaving creams, or after-shave lotions
- Skin products that are too drying or abrasive, such as some cosmetics, soaps, or skin cleansers
Using these products along with mequinol and tretinoin may cause mild to severe irritation of the skin. Check with your doctor before using other topical medicines.
Avoid overexposing the treated areas to sunlight, wind, or cold weather. The skin will be more prone to sunburn, dryness, or irritation. Do not use a sunlamp.
Regularly use sunscreen or sunblocking lotions with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15. Also, wear protective clothing and hats, and apply creams, lotions, or moisturizers often.
Check with your doctor any time your skin becomes too dry and irritated. Your health care professional can help you choose the right skin products for you to reduce skin dryness and irritation and may include :
- Taking part in an ongoing program to avoid further damage to your skin from the sun. The program should stress staying out of the sun when possible and wearing proper clothing or hats to protect your skin from sunlight.
- Regular use of oil-based creams or lotions to help to reduce skin irritation or dryness caused by the use of mequinol and tretinoin topical solution.