To prevent reinfection or spreading of the infection to other people, good health habits are required. These include the following:
- For lice infestation:
- Disinfecting or washing combs, curlers, and brushes in very hot water (65 °C or 150 °F) for about 10 minutes immediately after using.
- Washing in very hot water all recently worn clothing and used bed linens and towels, and drying them in a hot dryer for at least 20 minutes. Articles that cannot be washed may be dry-cleaned, pressed with a hot iron, or just placed in a hot dryer.
- Sealing stuffed toys and other non-washable articles in a plastic bag for 2 weeks, or placing these items in the freezer (in sealed plastic bags) for 12 to 24 hours.
- Vacuuming all rugs, mattresses, pillows, furniture, and car seats to get rid of fallen hairs with lice.
- For scabies infestation: Washing all recently worn clothing such as underwear and pajamas, and used sheets, pillowcases, and towels in very hot water or dry-cleaning.