It is very important that your doctor check your progress while you or your child are using this medicine. This will allow your doctor to see if the medicine is working properly and to decide if you should continue to take it.
If your cough has not become better after 7 days or if you have a high fever, skin rash, or continuing headache with the cough, check with your doctor. These signs may mean that you have other medical problems.
Benzonatate overdose can occur in children (younger than 10 years of age) within 15 to 20 minutes after accidentally taking this medicine. In children under 2 years of age, ingestion of even 1 or 2 capsules has resulted in overdose. Signs and symptoms may include: convulsions (seizures), loss of consciousness, restlessness, or trembling or shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet. If your child took this medicine by accident, call the poison control center (1-800-222-1222) and go to the hospital immediately.