Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Some serious side effects have occurred during the use of bromocriptine to stop milk flow after pregnancy or abortion. These side effects have included strokes, seizures (convulsions), and heart attacks. Some deaths have also occurred. You should discuss with your doctor the good that this medicine will do as well as the risks of using it.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:More common
- Dizziness or lightheadedness, especially when getting up from a lying or sitting position
- Hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there)
- Uncontrolled movements of the body, such as the face, tongue, arms, hands, head, and upper body
- Abdominal or stomach pain (continuing or severe)
- Increased frequency of urination
- Loss of appetite (continuing)
- Lower back pain
- Runny nose (continuing)
- Black, tarry stools
- Bloody vomit
- Chest pain (severe)
- Convulsions (seizures)
- Fast heartbeat
- Headache (unusual)
- Increased sweating
- Nausea and vomiting (continuing or severe)
- Shortness of breath (unexplained)
- Vision changes (such as blurred vision or temporary blindness)
- Weakness (sudden)
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Less common
- Drowsiness or tiredness
- Dry mouth
- Leg cramps at night
- Loss of appetite
- Mental depression
- Stomach pain
- Stuffy nose
- Tingling or pain in the fingers and toes when exposed to cold
Some side effects may be more likely to occur in patients who are taking bromocriptine for Parkinson's disease, acromegaly, or pituitary tumors since they may be taking larger doses.
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.