Chlorambucil (Oral Route)Drug Information provided by: Micromedex
US Brand Names
Chlorambucil belongs to the group of medicines called alkylating agents. It is used to treat different types of cancer of the blood and lymph system, such as chronic lymphatic leukemia, Hodgkin's disease, and other types of lymphoma.
Chlorambucil interferes with the growth of cancer cells, which are eventually destroyed. Since the growth of normal cells may also be affected by this medicine, other effects may also occur. Some of these may be serious and must be reported to your doctor. Other effects may not be serious but may cause concern. Some effects may occur after treatment with chlorambucil has been stopped.
Before you begin treatment with chlorambucil, you and your doctor should talk about the benefits this medicine will do as well as the risks of using it.
This medicine is available only with your doctor's prescription.
Once a medicine has been approved for marketing for a certain use, experience may show that it is also useful for other medical problems. Although these uses are not included in product labeling, chlorambucil is used in certain patients with the following medical conditions:
- Cancer of the lymph system that affects the skin.
- Cancer of the ovaries.
- Hairy cell leukemia (a cancer of the blood and bone marrow).
- Histiocytosis X (a certain type of cancer found primarily in children).
- Nephrotic syndrome (a kidney disease).
- Tumors in the uterus (womb).
- Waldenström's macroglobulinemia (a certain type of cancer of the blood).