Ciclopirox (Topical Route)Drug Information provided by: Micromedex
US Brand Names
Ciclopirox is used to treat infections caused by fungus. It works by killing the fungus or preventing its growth.
Ciclopirox cream, gel, or lotion are applied to the skin to treat:
- ringworm of the body (tinea corporis);
- ringworm of the foot (tinea pedis; athlete's foot);
- ringworm of the groin (tinea cruris; jock itch);
- “sun fungus” (tinea versicolor; pityriasis versicolor); and
- certain other fungus infections, such as Candida (Monilia) infections.
Ciclopirox gel or shampoo may also be applied to the scalp to treat seborrheic dermatitis.
Ciclopirox topical solution (nail lacquer) is applied to the nails to treat ringworm of the nails (tinea unguium).
Ciclopirox is available only with your doctor's prescription.