This medicine usually comes with patient directions. Read them carefully before using the medicine.
Before using this medicine, clear the nasal passages by blowing your nose.
- Cromolyn solution is used with a special spray device.
- To keep clean, wipe the nosepiece with a clean tissue and replace the dust cap after use.
- To avoid spreading an infection, do not use the container for more than one person.
Use this medicine only as directed. Do not use more of it and do not use it more often than your doctor ordered. To do so may increase the chance of side effects.
In order for this medicine to work properly, it must be used every day in regularly spaced doses as ordered by your doctor:
- For patients using cromolyn for seasonal (short-term) allergic rhinitis, up to 1 week may pass before you begin to feel better.
- For patients using cromolyn for chronic (long-term) allergic rhinitis, up to 2 to 4 weeks may pass before you feel the full effects of this medicine, although you may begin to feel better after 1 week.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For nasal solution dosage form:
- For allergic rhinitis:
- Adults and children 6 years of age (in Canada, 5 years of age) and older—One spray into each nostril three to six times a day until condition is better; then, one spray in each nostril every eight to twelve hours.
- Children up to 6 years of age (in Canada, up to 5 years of age)—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For allergic rhinitis:
If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.