It is very important that your dentist check your progress while you are receiving this medicine. Do not miss any dental appointments.
Using this medicine while you are pregnant (especially during the last half of your pregnancy) can harm your unborn baby. Use an effective form of birth control to keep from getting pregnant. If you think you have become pregnant while using the medicine, tell your doctor right away.
Check with your dentist as soon as possible if you have pain or swelling or other problems in the treated areas.
Oral contraceptives (birth control pills) containing estrogen may not work properly if you take them while you are using doxycycline periodontal system. To keep from getting pregnant, use another form of birth control (e.g., condoms, diaphragms, or contraceptive foams or jellies) while doxycycline periodontal system is in place. If you have any questions about this, check with your doctor.
For 7 days after receiving doxycycline periodontal system, do not floss or brush around the teeth that have been treated. Brushing or flossing may loosen the system or cause it to fall out.
Tetracyclines, such as doxycycline, may cause your skin to be more sensitive to sunlight than it is normally. Exposure to sunlight, even for brief periods of time, may cause a skin rash, itching, redness or other discoloration of the skin, or a severe sunburn. For a period of 7 days after receiving doxycycline periodontal system:
- Stay out of direct sunlight, especially between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., if possible.
- Wear protective clothing, including a hat. Also, wear sunglasses.
- Apply a sun block product that has a skin protection factor (SPF) of at least 15. Some patients may require a product with a higher SPF number, especially if they have a fair complexion. If you have any questions about this, check with your doctor.
- Apply a sun block lipstick that has an SPF of at least 15 to protect your lips.
- Do not use a sunlamp or tanning bed or booth.
You may still be sensitive to sunlight or sunlamps for 2 weeks to several months or more after the 7-day treatment period of doxycycline periodontal system. If you have a severe reaction, check with your dentist or doctor.