Halofantrine is best taken on an empty stomach to decrease the chance of side effects.
To help clear up your infection completely, take this medicine exactly as directed by your doctor for the full time of treatment. Your symptoms may come back if you stop your treatment too early. Your doctor may instruct you to take a second course of treatment after 1 week.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For oral dosage forms (oral suspension and tablets):
- Adults and children over 37 kilograms (81 pounds) of body weight—500 mg, taken on an empty stomach every six hours three times a day for one day. Treatment may need to be repeated after one week.
- Children—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. Treatment may need to be repeated after one week.
- Up to 23 kilograms (51 pounds) of body weight: Dose must be determined by your doctor.
- 23 to 31 kilograms (51 to 68 pounds) of body weight: 250 mg, taken on an empty stomach every six hours three times a day for one day.
- 32 to 37 kilograms (70 to 81 pounds) of body weight: 375 mg, taken on an empty stomach every six hours three times a day for one day.
If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Keep the liquid form of this medicine from freezing.