Mebendazole (Oral Route)Drug Information provided by: Micromedex
US Brand Names
Mebendazole belongs to the family of medicines called anthelmintics. Anthelmintics are medicines used in the treatment of worm infections.
Mebendazole is used to treat:
- Common roundworms (ascariasis);
- Hookworm infections (uncinariasis);
- Pinworms (enterobiasis; oxyuriasis);
- Whipworms (trichuriasis); and
- More than one worm infection at a time.
This medicine may also be used for other worm infections as determined by your doctor.
Mebendazole works by keeping the worm from absorbing sugar (glucose). This gradually causes loss of energy and death of the worm.
Mebendazole is available only with your doctor's prescription.