In very rare instances, healthy persons who have taken the poliovirus vaccine live oral (OPV) and healthy persons who are close contacts of adults or children who have taken OPV have been infected by the polio virus and have become paralyzed.
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:Symptoms of allergic reaction
- Difficulty with breathing or swallowing
- Itching, especially of the feet or hands
- Reddening of the skin, especially around ears
- Swelling of the eyes, face, or inside of the nose
- Unusual tiredness or weakness (sudden and severe)
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.