When using salicylic acid, do not use any of the following preparations on the same affected area as this medicine, unless otherwise directed by your doctor:
- Abrasive soaps or cleansers
- Alcohol-containing preparations
- Any other topical acne preparation or preparation containing a peeling agent (for example, benzoyl peroxide, resorcinol, sulfur, or tretinoin [vitamin A acid])
- Cosmetics or soaps that dry the skin
- Medicated cosmetics
- Other topical medicine for the skin
To use any of the above preparations on the same affected area as salicylic acid may cause severe irritation of the skin.
Check with your doctor right away if you have nausea, vomiting, dizziness, loss of hearing, tinnitus, lethargy hyperpnea, diarrhea, and psychic disturbances. These could be symptoms of a serious condition called salicylate toxicity, especially in children under 12 years of age and patients with kidney or liver problems.