Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur:More common
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- Black, tarry stools
- Blood in the urine or stools
- Cough or hoarseness (accompanied by fever or chills)
- Fever or chills
- Lower back or side pain (accompanied by fever or chills)
- Painful or difficult urination (accompanied by fever or chills)
- Pinpoint red spots on the skin
- Shortness of breath or troubled breathing
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Changes in the skin color of the face
- Fast or irregular breathing
- Large, hive-like swellings on the face, eyelids, mouth, lips, or tongue
- Puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes
- Skin rash, hives, or itching
- Tightness in the chest or wheezing
- Bleeding gums
- Difficult breathing
- Difficulty with swallowing
- Fast heartbeat
- Skin rash or itching, severe
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Burning or tingling in the hands or feet
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle weakness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or tongue or inside the mouth
Topotecan sometimes causes bruising or redness at the place of injection. Check with your doctor or nurse if these effects are especially bothersome.
Topotecan may also cause a temporary loss of hair in some people. After treatment with topotecan has ended, normal hair growth should return.
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.