Use this medicine only as directed by your doctor. Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, and do not use it for a longer time than your doctor ordered.
This medicine is for use only in the nose. Do not get any of it in your eyes or on your skin. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off with water right away.
Each spray bottle contains 30 doses of the medicine. Keep track of the doses you use and throw away any unused medicine after 30 doses, even if the bottle is not completely empty.
This medicine usually comes with patient instructions. Read the instructions carefully before using this medicine. If you have any questions about using the pump spray, ask your doctor.
To assemble the pump:
- If your medicine and its pump were not already assembled by the pharmacist, carefully follow the instructions provided with the container.
- Remove the bottle of solution from the refrigerator and let it slowly warm up to room temperature (less than 77 degrees F).
- Lift the plastic tab and pull the metal safety seal off the bottle.
- Hold the bottle upright and carefully pull the rubber stopper out of the bottle.
- Hold the spray pump unit and remove the plastic cap from the bottom of the unit.
- Hold the bottle upright and place the spray pump unit into the bottle.
- Turn the spray pump unit clockwise and tighten it until it is securely fastened.
To prepare this medicine:
- Before you use a new bottle of calcitonin spray, the spray pump will need to be primed (started). If your pharmacist assembled the unit for you, check to see if it has already been primed by pumping the unit once. If a full spray comes out, the unit has already been primed; if not, you must prime the pump.
- To prime a new bottle, hold the bottle upright and away from you, then pump it several times until you see a faint spray.
- Do not prime the pump again before each daily use.
To use the nose spray:
- Before using the spray, blow your nose gently to clear the nostrils.
- Keeping your head in an upright position, carefully place the nozzle into one nostril.
- Press the pump toward the bottle one time. Do not spray more than once.
- Do not inhale while spraying.
- To keep the nosepiece clean, wipe it with a clean tissue and replace the dust cap after use.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For nasal dosage form (spray):
- For postmenopausal osteoporosis:
- Adults—200 International Units (IU) or 1 spray into one nostril per day. It is best to change which nostril you use each day. As an example, you should spray into the left side on the first day, then into the right side on the second day, and back to the left side on the third day.
- Children—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For postmenopausal osteoporosis:
If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
Store the unopened bottle in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. You may store the opened bottle in an upright position at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. An opened bottle of Miacalcin® can be stored for up to 35 days, and an opened bottle of Fortical® can be stored for up to 30 days. Throw away any unused medicine after 30 or 35 days based on the brand you are using.