Ketoconazole (Topical Route)Drug Information provided by: Micromedex
US Brand Names
Canadian Brand Names
Ketoconazole is used to treat infections caused by a fungus or yeast. It works by killing the fungus or yeast or preventing its growth.
Ketoconazole cream is used to treat:
- Athlete's foot (tinea pedis; ringworm of the foot);
- Ringworm of the body (tinea corporis);
- Ringworm of the groin (tinea cruris; jock itch);
- Seborrheic dermatitis;
- "Sun fungus" (tinea versicolor; pityriasis versicolor); and
- Yeast infection of the skin (cutaneous candidiasis).
Ketoconazole foam or gel is used to treat seborrheic dermatitis (scaly areas on your skin or scalp).
Ketoconazole 1% shampoo is used to treat dandruff.
Ketoconazole 2% shampoo is used to treat "sun fungus" (tinea versicolor; pityriasis versicolor).
This medicine may also be used for other fungus infections of the skin as determined by your doctor.
Most forms of this medicine are available only with your doctor's prescription. Some forms are available without a prescription. However, your doctor may have special instructions on the proper use for your medical condition.