Make certain your health care professional knows if you are on any special diet, such as a low-sodium or low-sugar diet.
Take this medicine with meals or snacks to lessen the possibility of stomach upset. If stomach upset continues, check with your doctor.
For patients taking the capsule or tablet form of aminobenzoate potassium:
- Take each dose with a full glass (8 ounces) of water or milk to lessen the possibility of stomach upset.
- Patients using the tablets should dissolve them in water before taking. This will help lessen the possibility of stomach upset.
For patients using the powder form of this medicine:
- This medicine should never be taken in its dry form. Instead, always mix it with water or citrus juice, as directed.
- To cover up the taste of aminobenzoate potassium, you may dissolve the powder in citrus drinks instead of in water. However, if you do dissolve the powder in water, drinking a citrus juice or a carbonated beverage immediately after each dose of medicine will also help cover up the taste.
- The flavor of this medicine is improved if the solution is chilled before you take it.
- For patients using the two-gram individual packets of powder:
- Dissolve one packet (2 grams) of aminobenzoate potassium in a full glass (8 ounces) of water or citrus juice.
- Stir well to dissolve the powder.
- For patients using the bulk powder form of this medicine:
- Use a specially marked measuring spoon or other device to measure out the correct amount of medicine. Your health care professional can help you with this.
- To make a 10-percent solution of this medicine:
- Choose a container that is resistant to light, such as an amber glass container, a metal container, or a plastic container that you cannot see through. Make sure the container is large enough to measure one liter (approximately one quart).
- Place 100 grams (approximately 3 ounces) of aminobenzoate potassium powder in the container.
- Add enough water or citrus juice to make one liter (approximately one quart) of solution and stir well.
- Store the solution in a container that is resistant to light, such as an amber glass container, a metal container, or a plastic container that you cannot see through.
- Keep the solution refrigerated. Stir well before pouring each dose. Discard the unused portion after one week.
For this medicine to be effective, it must be taken every day as ordered by your doctor. It may take 3 or more months before you begin to see an improvement in your condition.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For oral dosage forms (capsules, powder for oral solution, and tablets):
- For fibrosis:
- Adults—12 grams a day, divided into four to six doses and taken with meals or snacks.
- Children—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. The usual dose is 220 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) (100 mg per pound) of body weight a day. This is divided into four to six doses and taken with meals or snacks.
- For fibrosis:
If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing.
Keep the bottle closed when you are not using it. Keep it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Store the liquid form of this medicine in a container that is resistant to light, such as an amber glass container, a metal container, or a plastic container that you cannot see through. Discard the unused portion of the liquid form of this medicine.