Anabolic Steroid (Oral Route, Parenteral Route)Drug Information provided by: Micromedex
US Brand Names
This medicine belongs to the group of medicines known as anabolic steroids. They are related to testosterone, a male sex hormone. Anabolic steroids help to rebuild tissues that have become weak because of serious injury or illness. A diet high in proteins and calories is necessary with anabolic steroid treatment.
Anabolic steroids are used for several reasons:
- To help patients gain weight after a severe illness, injury, or continuing infection. They also are used when patients fail to gain or maintain normal weight because of unexplained medical reasons.
- To treat certain types of anemia.
- To treat certain kinds of breast cancer in some women.
- To treat hereditary angioedema, which causes swelling of the face, arms, legs, throat, windpipe, bowels, or sexual organs.
Anabolic steroids may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Anabolic steroids are available only with your doctor's prescription.
Once a medicine has been approved for marketing for a certain use, experience may show that it is also useful for other medical problems. Although these uses are not included in product labeling, anabolic steroids may be used in certain patients with the following medical conditions:
- Certain blood clotting diseases
- Growth failure
- Turner's syndrome