Androgen (Oral Route, Parenteral Route, Subcutaneous Route, Topical Application Route, Transdermal Route)Drug Information provided by: Micromedex
US Brand Names
Canadian Brand Names
Androgens are male hormones. Some androgens are naturally produced in the body and are necessary for the normal sexual development of males.
Androgens are used for several reasons, such as:
- To replace the hormone when the body is unable to produce enough on its own.
- To stimulate the beginning of puberty in certain boys who are late starting puberty naturally.
- To treat certain types of breast cancer in females.
In addition, some of these medicines may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Androgens are available only with your doctor's prescription.
Once a medicine has been approved for marketing for a certain use, experience may show that it is also useful for other medical problems. Although these uses are not included in product labeling, androgens are used in certain patients with the following medical conditions:
- Anemias (blood problems)
- Delayed growth spurt
- Development of male features in transsexuals
- Lichen sclerosus (a skin problem of the vulva)
- Microphallus (underdevelopment of the penis)
This product is available in the following dosage forms:
- Patch, Extended Release
- Tablet, Extended Release
- Capsule, Extended Release