Check with your medical doctor:
- If you are using this medicine for a sore throat and your sore throat is severe or lasts for more than 2 days.
- If other symptoms, such as fever, headache, skin rash, swelling, nausea, or vomiting, are also present.
You may have a condition that needs other treatment.
Check with your health care professional:
- If you are using this medicine for pain or sores in or around the mouth and your condition does not get better within 7 days or gets worse.
- If you notice other symptoms, such as swelling, rash, or fever.
You may have a condition that needs other treatment
Check with your dentist:
- If you are using this medicine for a toothache. This medicine should not be used for a long time. It is meant to relieve toothache pain temporarily, until the problem causing the toothache can be corrected. Arrange for treatment as soon as possible.
- If you are using this medicine to relieve pain caused by new dentures or other dental appliances. An adjustment to your appliance may be needed to prevent more soreness. Also, if your dentist has ordered you to apply this medicine to the appliance before inserting it or to keep the appliance in your mouth while using the medicine, he or she will want to make sure that the medicine is not causing any unwanted effects
False test results may occur if benzocaine or lidocaine is present in your body when a certain laboratory test is done. This test uses a medicine called bentiromide (e.g., Chymex) to show how well your pancreas is working. You should not use any products containing benzocaine or lidocaine for about 72 hours (3 days) before this test is done.
If you are using this medicine in the back of the mouth, or in the throat, do not eat or drink anything for one hour after using it. When this medicine is applied to these areas, it may interfere with swallowing and cause choking.
Do not chew gum or food while your mouth or throat feels numb after you use this medicine. To do so may cause an injury. You may accidentally bite your tongue or the inside of your cheeks.