Along with its needed effects, radiopaque agents can cause serious side effects such as allergic reactions. These effects may occur almost immediately or a few minutes after the radiopaque agent is given. Although these serious side effects appear only rarely, your health care professional will be prepared to give you immediate medical attention if needed. If you have any questions about this, check with your doctor.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:With injection into the spinal canalRare
- Hallucinations (seeing hearing, or feeling things that are not there)
- Paralysis of one side of body or of legs and arms
- Burning or itching of the skin
- Joint stiffness
- Limited range of motion in the arms, hands, legs, or feet
- Muscle weakness
- Pain deep in the hip bone or ribs
- Reddened or darkened patches on the skin
- Skin swelling, hardening and/or tightening
- Yellow raised spots on the whites of the eyes
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:With oral or rectal useLess common
- Diarrhea or laxative effect
- Unusual warmth and flushing of skin
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Pain or burning at the place of injection
- Unusual or metallic taste
- Unusual thirst
- Headache (mild to moderate)
- Nausea and vomiting (mild to moderate)
- Stiffness of neck
- Difficult urination
- Headache (severe)
- Increased sensitivity of eyes to light
- Increased sweating
- Loss of appetite
- Ringing or buzzing in ears
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Not all of the side effects listed above have been reported for each of these agents, but they have been reported for at least one of them. There are some similarities among these agents, so many of the above side effects may occur with any of them.
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.