This medicine comes with a Medication Guide and patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor if you have any questions.
This medicine is available in two forms: individual packets or multi-dose pump. If you are using the pump gel for the first time, prime the pump before measuring out your first dose. Hold the pump over a sink and press the pump all the way down at least 3 times or until the gel begins to flow freely. Rinse the medicine discarded into the sink down the drain. Place the palm of your hand under the pump and press the pump the proper number of times to measure out your correct dose.
If you are using the gel in foil packets, tear the packet completely open along the perforation. Squeeze the entire contents directly onto the skin where you will apply the gel. You may also empty the packet into the palm of your hand and then apply the medicine. Throw away the empty foil packet in a place where children and pets cannot reach it.
To use the gel:
- Make sure that you wash your hands with soap and water before and after applying the gel.
- Apply the gel to a clean, dry, intact skin of the shoulders, upper arms, or abdomen (stomach), unless your doctor tells you to use it on another part of your body. Do not apply this medicine to your scrotum or your penis. Do not use the medicine on skin that has a cut, scrape, or other type of injury.
- Allow the gel to dry on your skin before you cover it with clothing (e.g., t-shirt).
- Wait for 5 hours after applying this medicine before showering or swimming.
The gel form can be transferred to another person if they touch or rub the skin where the gel was placed or if some of the gel remains on your hands. To keep this from happening, wash your hands again after applying the gel. Also, wash the area where you applied the gel with soap and water if you expect to have a skin-to-skin contact with another person.
This medicine is flammable until it dries on the skin. Do not use it near heat, an open flame, or while smoking.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For topical dosage form (gel):
- For hormone replacement:
- Adults—At first, apply 5 grams to a clean, dry, intact skin once a day (usually in the morning). Your doctor may increase your dose as needed. However, the dose is usually not more than 10 grams.
- Children—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For hormone replacement:
If you miss a dose of this medicine, apply it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.