Use this medicine only as directed by your doctor to benefit your condition as much as possible. Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, and do not use it for a longer time than your doctor ordered.
This medicine comes with a patient information insert. Read and follow the instructions carefully. Ask your doctor if you have any questions.
This medicine is only for cold sores on the lips and around the mouth. Do not get it in your eyes, inside your mouth or nose, or on the genital area. If the cream does get on these areas, rinse it off with water right away.
To help clear up your herpes infection, keep using this medicine for the full time of treatment, even if your symptoms begin to clear up after a few days. Do not miss any doses.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using the cream.
- Clean and dry the affected area before applying the cream.
- Apply a thin layer to the affected area that covers the cold sore.
- Do not rub the cream into the cold sore. Rubbing may spread the virus to other areas around your mouth or make your cold sore worse.
- Do not cover the cold sore or the area around the cold sore with a bandage.
- Do not bathe, shower, or swim until 30 minutes after applying the medicine.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For topical dosage form (cream):
- For cold sores:
- Adults and teenagers—Apply to the affected area 5 times per day for 5 days.
- Children younger than 12 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For cold sores:
If you miss a dose of this medicine, apply it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.