Take this medicine only as directed by your doctor to benefit your condition as much as possible. Do not take more of it, do not take it more often, and do not take it for a longer time than your doctor ordered. Do not use it for more than 5 days in a row. The total number of days also includes any doses of ketorolac that may be given in a hospital or clinic setting. Using too much of this medicine increases the chance of side effects, especially in elderly patients.
This medicine should come with a medication guide. Read and follow the instructions carefully. Ask your doctor if you have any questions.
This medicine is only used in the nose. Do not get any of it in your eyes. If it does get in the eyes, rinse them with water right away and call your doctor.
Drink extra fluids while you are using this medicine. This will keep your kidneys working well and help prevent kidney problems.
- If you are using the nasal spray for the first time, you will need to prime the spray. To do this, pump the bottle five times until some of the medicine sprays out. Now it is ready to use.
- Gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils.
- Sit or stand up straight and tilt your head slightly forward.
- Insert the tip of the bottle into your right nostril. Point the bottle away from the center of your nose.
- Spray once into your right nostril. If your dose is 2 sprays, spray once into your left nostril the same way.
- After using the spray, wipe the tip of the bottle with a clean tissue and put the clear plastic cover back on.
- Do not use the bottle for more than 24 hours after your first dose. Throw the bottle away after 24 hours even if it still has liquid in it.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For nasal dosage form (spray):
- For pain:
- Adults weighing 50 kilograms (kg) or more—31.5 milligrams (mg) or 1 spray in each nostril every 6 to 8 hours. Your doctor may adjust your dose if needed. However, the dose is usually not more than 126 mg (a total of 8 sprays) per day.
- Older adults and adults weighing less than 50 kg—15.75 mg or 1 spray in only one nostril every 6 to 8 hours. However, the dose is usually not more than 63 mg (a total of 4 sprays) per day.
- Children—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For pain:
If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
Keep the unopened bottle in the refrigerator. Protect it from light and freezing. Once opened, store the bottle at room temperature, away from heat and direct sunlight. Throw away any unused medicine 24 hours after you opened the bottle and used your first dose.