CausesBy Mayo Clinic staff
Doctors don't know what causes Dupuytren's contracture. Some researchers have speculated that it may be associated with an autoimmune reaction, where a person's immune system attacks its own body tissues. Dupuytren's often occurs in concert with conditions that cause contractures in other parts of the body, such as the feet or penis.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1584/0.html. Accessed Aug. 17, 2012.
- Sheon RP, et al. Dupuytren's contracture. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 17, 2012.
- Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1678/0.html. Accessed Aug. 17, 2012.
- Dupuytren's contracture. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00008. Accessed Aug. 20, 2012.
- Dupuytren's disease. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. http://www.assh.org/Public/HandConditions/Pages/DupuytrensDisease.aspx. Accessed Aug. 20, 2012.