DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Atopic dermatitis (eczema) is an itchy inflammation of your skin. It's a long-lasting (chronic) condition that may be accompanied by asthma or hay fever.
Eczema may affect any area of your skin, but it typically appears on your arms and behind your knees. It tends to flare periodically and then subside. The cause of atopic dermatitis is unknown, but it may result from a combination of inherited tendencies for sensitive skin and malfunction in the body's immune system.
Self-care measures, such as avoiding soaps or other irritants and applying creams or ointments, can help relieve itching. See your doctor if your symptoms distract you from your daily routines or prevent you from sleeping.
- Weston WL, et al. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- Weston WL, et al. Treatment of atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- Eczema/atopic dermatitis. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/public/Publications/pamphlets/EczemaAtopicDermatitis.htm. Accessed May 3, 2011.
- What is atopic dermatitis? National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/dermatitis/ffdermatitis.htm. Accessed May 3, 2011.
- Habif TP. Atopic dermatitis. In: Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do? about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9. X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 24, 2011.
- Zeppa L, et al. Atopic dermatitis in adults. Dermatitis. 2011;22:40.
- Atopic dermatitis: Possible complications. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/complications.html. Accessed May 2, 2011.
- Spergel JM. Management of severe refractory atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.