DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Egg freezing, also known as mature oocyte cryopreservation, is a method used to preserve a woman's reproductive potential.
Eggs are harvested from your ovaries, frozen unfertilized and stored for later use. A frozen egg can be thawed, combined with sperm in a lab and implanted in your uterus (in vitro fertilization).
However, only a small portion of eggs that are frozen, thawed and implanted result in the birth of a baby. Egg freezing can also be expensive.
Your doctor can help you understand how egg freezing works, the potential risks and whether this method of fertility preservation is right for you.
- Chung K, et al. Fertility preserving options for women of advancing age. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Jensen JR, et al. Fertility preservation. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2011;86:45.
- Reproductive aging in women. American Society for Reproductive Medicine. http://www.asrm.org/uploadedFiles/ASRM_Content/Resources/Patient_Resources/Fact_Sheets_and_Info_Booklets/reproaging.pdf. Accessed Aug. 16, 2012.
- Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine and the Practice Committee of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology. Ovarian tissue and oocyte cryopreservation. Fertility and Sterility. 2008;90:S241.
- Lee SJ, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology recommendations on fertility preservation in cancer patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2006;24:2917.
- Noyes N, et al. Oocyte cryopreservation: Is it time to remove its experimental label? Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics. 2010;27:69.
- Grifo JA, et al. Delivery rate using cryopreserved oocytes is comparable to conventional in vitro fertilization using fresh oocytes: Potential fertility preservation for female cancer patients. Fertility and Sterility. 2010;93:391.
- Tucker M, et al. Human oocyte cryopreservation: A valid alternative to embryo cryopreservation? European Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology. 2004;113:S24.
- Rienzi L, et al. Consistent and predictable delivery rates after oocyte vitrification: An observational longitudinal cohort multicentric study. Human Reproduction. 2012;27:1606.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ060. Later childbearing. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ026. Detecting and treating breast problems. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq026.ashx?dmc=1&ts=20111213T1052571310. Accessed. Accessed Oct. 11, 2012.
- Infertility: An overview. The American Society for Reproductive Medicine. http://www.asrm.org/uploadedFiles/ASRM_Content/Resources/Patient_Resources/Fact_Sheets_and_Info_Booklets/infertility_overview.pdf. Accessed Oct. 11, 2012.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ137. Treating infertility. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq137.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20121011T1619214667. Accessed. Accessed Oct. 11, 2012.
- Fretts RC. Effect of advanced age on fertility and pregnancy in women. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Cleary-Goldman J, et al. Impact of maternal age on obstetric outcome. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2005;105:983.
- Assisted reproductive technologies: A guide for patients. American Society for Reproductive Medicine. http://www.asrm.org/uploadedFiles/ASRM_Content/Resources/Patient_Resources/Fact_Sheets_and_Info_Booklets/ART.pdf. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- The Practice Committees of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine and the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology. Mature oocyte cryopreservation: A guideline. Fertility and Sterility. 2012. In press. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Fauser B, et al. Overview of ovulation induction. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 15, 2012.
- Anesthesia experience. American Society of Anesthesiologists. http://www.lifelinetomodernmedicine.com/FAQs/anesthesia%20experience.aspx. Accessed Oct. 15, 2012.
- The Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Fertility and Sterility. 2008;90:188.
- Hughes E, et al. Clomiphene citrate for unexplained subfertility in women. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://www.thecochranelibrary.com/view/0/index.html. Accessed Oct. 15, 2012.
- Fauser BCJM. Overview of ovulation induction. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 30, 2012.
- Jensen JR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 17, 2012.