SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Eisenmenger syndrome signs and symptoms include:
- Bluish or grayish skin color (cyanosis)
- Large, rounded fingernails or toenails (clubbing)
- Easily tiring and shortness of breath with activity
- Shortness of breath while at rest
- Chest pain or tightness
- Skipped or racing heartbeats (palpitations)
- Fainting (syncope)
- Numbness or tingling in the fingers or toes
When to see a doctor
If you have any signs or symptoms of Eisenmenger syndrome, make an appointment to see your doctor. Even if you haven't previously been diagnosed with a heart defect, symptoms such as cyanosis and shortness of breath are signals that you have a health problem that needs medical attention.
- Connolly HM. Evaluation and prognosis of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 19, 2012.
- Connolly HM. Medical management of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 19, 2012.
- Warnes CA, et al. ACC/AHA 2008 guidelines for the management of adults with congenital heart disease. Circulation. 2008;118:e714.
- Beghetti M, et al. Eisenmenger syndrome: A clinical perspective in a new therapeutic era of pulmonary arterial hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;53:733.
- Moons P, et al. Eisenmenger syndrome: A clinical review. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2009;8:237.
- Trojnarska O, et al. Therapeutic methods used in patients with Eisenmenger syndrome. Cardiology Journal. 2009;16:500.
- Zhang ZN, et al. Oral sildenafil treatment for Eisenmenger syndrome: A prospective, open-label, multicentre study. Heart. 2011;97:1876.
- Birth control methods. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.cfm.%20Accessed%20May%209, 2012.
- Bonow RO, et al. Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0398-6..C2009-0-59734-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0398-6&about=true&uniqId=236798031-10. Accessed May 31, 2012.
- Burton MJ, et al. Infective endocarditis prevention: Update on 2007 guidelines. The American Journal of Medicine. 2007;11:484.