How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic staff
Before having your first ECT treatment, you'll need a full evaluation, which usually includes:
- A medical history
- A complete physical exam
- A psychiatric assessment
- Basic blood tests
- An electrocardiogram (ECG) to check your heart health
These exams help make sure that ECT is safe for you. You may also see an anesthesiologist to go over the risks of anesthesia.
- Kellner C. Overview of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) for adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 17, 2012.
- Kellner C. Indications for electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) in unipolar depression and its efficacy. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 17, 2012.
- Payne N, et al. Electroconvulsive therapy: Part I. A perspective on the evolution and current practice of ECT. Journal of Psychiatric Practice. 2009;15:346.
- Fact sheet: Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). Mental Health America. http://www.nmha.org/go/information/get-info/treatment/electroconvulsive-therapy-ect. Accessed Sept. 17, 2012.
- Sadock BJ, et al. Kaplan & Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=booktext&D=books2&AN=01412563/9th_Edition/5&XPATH=/OVIDBOOK%5b1%5d/METADATA%5b1%5d/TBY%5b1%5d/EDITORS%5b1%5d. Accessed Sept. 18, 2012.
- Brain stimulation therapies. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/brain-stimulation-therapies/brain-stimulation-therapies.shtml. Accessed Sept. 18, 2012.
- Kellner C. Technique for performing electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 17, 2012.
- Depression. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/complete-index.shtml. Accessed Sept. 19, 2012.
- Kung S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 30, 2012.
- Ujkaj M, et al. Safety and efficacy of electroconvulsive therapy for the treatment of agitation and aggression in patients with dementia. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2012;20:61.