How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic staff
The nervous system specialist (neurologist) conducting the EMG will need to know if you have certain medical conditions. Tell the neurologist and other EMG lab personnel if you:
- Have a pacemaker or any other electrical medical device
- Take blood-thinning medications
- Have hemophilia, a blood-clotting disorder that causes prolonged bleeding
Questions to ask
When you schedule your EMG, you may want to ask the following questions:
- What time do I need to arrive?
- Where is the EMG lab, and what's the best way to find it in the hospital or clinic?
- Do I need to stop taking any prescription or over-the-counter medications before the exam?
- Can a friend or relative be with me during the exam?
Take a shower or bath shortly before your exam in order to remove oils from your skin. Don't apply lotions or creams before the exam.
- Ropper AH, et al. Adams & Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3641135&searchStr=electromyography. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Horowitz SH. Overview of electromyography. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- FAQ: Patient information. American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine. http://www.aanem.org/Education/Patient-Resources/Learn-About-an-EMG.aspx. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Overview of peripheral nervous system disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/peripheral_nervous_system_and_motor_unit_disorders/overview_of_peripheral_nervous_system_disorders.html?qt=peripheral%20nervous%20system%20disorders&alt=sh#v1045423. Accessed Jan. 15, 2013.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm. Accessed Jan. 15, 2013.
- What are pleurisy and other pleural disorders? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pleurisy/. Accessed Jan. 17, 2013.
- What is hemophilia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hemophilia/. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your electromyography (EMG) examination. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2008.