RisksBy Mayo Clinic staff
EMG is a low-risk procedure, and complications are rare. There's a small risk of bleeding, infection and nerve injury where a needle electrode is inserted.
When muscles along the chest wall are examined with a needle electrode, there's a very small risk that it could cause air to leak into the area between the lungs and chest wall, causing a lung to collapse (pneumothorax).
- Ropper AH, et al. Adams & Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3641135&searchStr=electromyography. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Horowitz SH. Overview of electromyography. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- FAQ: Patient information. American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine. http://www.aanem.org/Education/Patient-Resources/Learn-About-an-EMG.aspx. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Overview of peripheral nervous system disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/peripheral_nervous_system_and_motor_unit_disorders/overview_of_peripheral_nervous_system_disorders.html?qt=peripheral%20nervous%20system%20disorders&alt=sh#v1045423. Accessed Jan. 15, 2013.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm. Accessed Jan. 15, 2013.
- What are pleurisy and other pleural disorders? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pleurisy/. Accessed Jan. 17, 2013.
- What is hemophilia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hemophilia/. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your electromyography (EMG) examination. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2008.