Lifestyle and home remediesBy Mayo Clinic staff
For many men, erectile dysfunction is caused or worsened by lifestyle choices. Here are some things you can do that may help:
- If you smoke, quit. If you have trouble quitting, get help. Try nicotine replacement (such as gum or lozenges), available over-the-counter, or ask your doctor about prescription medication that can help you quit.
- Lose weight. Being overweight can cause — or worsen — erectile dysfunction.
- Get regular exercise. This can help with underlying problems that play a part in erectile dysfunction in a number of ways, including reducing stress, helping you lose weight and increasing blood flow.
- Get treatment for alcohol or drug problems. Drinking too much or taking certain illegal drugs can worsen erectile dysfunction directly or by causing long-term health problems.
- Work through relationship issues. Improve communication with your partner and consider couples or marriage counseling if you're having trouble working through problems on your own.
- Erectile dysfunction. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/ED/. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Diaz JR VA, et al. Male sexual dysfunction. Primary Care Clinics Office Practice. 2010;37:473.
- Erectile dysfunction. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/male_sexual_dysfunction/erectile_dysfunction.html#v1153706. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- AUA guideline on the management of erectile dysfunction: Diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Linthicum, Md.: American Urological Association. http://www.auanet.org/content/guidelines-and-quality-care/clinical-guidelines.cfm?sub=ed. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Alberson M, et al. Evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Medical Clinics of North America. 2011;95:201.
- Martin KA. Treatment of male sexual dysfunction. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Erectile dysfunction. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 5, 2011.
- Aung HH, et al. Alternative therapies for male and female sexual dysfunction. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2004;32:161.
- Hidden risks of erectile dysfunction "treatments" sold online. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048386.htm. Accessed Dec. 5, 2011.