What you can expectBy Mayo Clinic staff
Esophageal manometry is an outpatient procedure done without sedation. Most people tolerate it well. You may be asked to change into a hospital gown before the test starts.
During esophageal manometry
- While you are sitting up, a member of your health care team sprays your throat with a numbing medication or puts numbing gel in your nose or both.
- A catheter is guided through your nose into your esophagus. The catheter may be sheathed in a water-filled sleeve. It doesn't interfere with your breathing. However, your eyes may water, and you may gag. You may have a slight nosebleed from irritation.
- After the catheter is in place, you may be asked to lie on your back on an exam table, or you may be asked to remain seated.
- You then swallow small sips of water. As you do, a computer connected to the catheter records the pressure, strength and pattern of your esophageal muscle contractions.
- During the test, you'll be asked to breathe slowly and smoothly, remain as still as possible, and swallow only when you're asked to do so.
- A member of your health care team may move the catheter down into your stomach while the catheter continues its measurements.
- The catheter then is slowly withdrawn.
The test usually lasts 20 to 30 minutes.
After esophageal manometry
When your esophageal manometry is complete, you may return to your normal activities.
- Understanding esophageal manometry. American Society for Gastronintestinal Endoscopy. http://www.asge.org/PatientInfoIndex.aspx?id=6822. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Lembo AJ et al. Motility testing: When does it help? http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- American Gastroenterological Association. AGA technical review on the clinical use of esophageal manometry. Gastroenterology. 2005;128:209.
- Ask Mayo Expert. Esophageal manometry. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Falk GW et al. Goldman: Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Saunders, Elsevier, 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..00140-8&isbn=978-1-4377-1604-7&sid=1300780111&uniqId=331154314-3#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..00140-8--s0050