Staying healthy (21)
- Cosmetic surgery: What to know beforehand
- Vaccines for adults: Which do you need?
- Bone health: Tips to keep your bones healthy
- see all in Staying healthy
Dental care (7)
- Oral health: Brush up on dental care basics
- Oral health: A window to your overall health
- Calcium and calcium supplements: Achieving the right balance
- see all in Dental care
Skin care (17)
- Best sunscreen: Understand sunscreen options
- Sunless tanning: What you need to know
- Tattoos: Understand risks and precautions
- see all in Skin care
Nail care (1)
- Fingernails: Do's and don'ts for healthy nails
Eye care (9)
- Eye injury: Tips to protect vision
- Contact lenses: What to know before you buy
- LASIK eye surgery
- see all in Eye care
- Sleep aids: Understand over-the-counter options
- Napping: Do's and don'ts for healthy adults
- Sleep deprivation: Know the risks
- see all in Sleep
Mental health (11)
- Mental health: What's normal, what's not
- Empty nest syndrome: Tips for coping
- Friendships: Enrich your life and improve your health
- see all in Mental health
Healthy relationships (10)
- Forgiveness: Letting go of grudges and bitterness
- Domestic violence against men: Know the signs
- Domestic violence against women: Recognize patterns, seek help
- see all in Healthy relationships
Healthy at work (11)
- Workplace exercises: How to burn calories at work
- Desk stretches: How-to video collection
- Office ergonomics: Your how-to guide
- see all in Healthy at work
Travel workout: Fitness tips for business travelers
When you're traveling for work, you can stick to your fitness routine. Use these simple travel workout tips to maintain your fitness program.By Mayo Clinic staff
If work keeps you frequently away from home, you know how challenging it can be to maintain your fitness program. Travel time and meetings might leave little room in your schedule for a workout — but keeping fit doesn't have to be a lost cause. A little dedication and planning can help you stay in shape when you're traveling. Consider these travel workout tips.
Pack for fitness
Before your trip, research the hotel or nearby fitness facilities and pack accordingly. Your travel workout essentials might include:
- Athletic shoes
- Exercise clothing
- Resistance tubing
- Tennis racket
- Hand grips
- Music and headphones
- Exercise video or DVD
For a different type of travel workout, you might ask the hotel staff about renting in-line skates or a bicycle.
Work out as you go
Wear your walking shoes when you travel. If you're traveling by plane, stroll through the airport terminal. When traveling by train walk through the cars occasionally. Walk outdoors when the train stops to let passengers on and off. If you're driving, take frequent breaks to get out and stretch.Next page
(1 of 2)
- Peterson DM. Overview of the benefits and risks of exercise. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2013.
- Stamford B. A traveler's workout guide. The Physician and Sportsmedicine. 1998;26:113.
- Tompkins OS. Business traveler fitness. AAOHN Journal. 2008;56:272.
- Get moving: Easy tips to get active. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/StartWalking/Get-Moving-Easy-Tips-to-Get-Active_UCM_307978_Article.jsp. Accessed Feb. 27, 2013.
- Kaminsky LA. Current comment fact sheets: Exercise while traveling. American College of Sports Medicine. http://www.acsm.org/access-public-information/brochures-fact-sheets/fact-sheets. Accessed Feb. 27, 2013.
- Richards CA, et al. Business travel and self-rated health, obesity, and cardiovascular disease risk factors. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2011;53:358.
- Physical activity and health. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/health/index.html. Accessed April 11, 2013.
- 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/guidelines/. Accessed Feb. 27, 2013.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 11, 2013.