When to see a doctorBy Mayo Clinic staff
Call 911 or for emergency medical assistance
Seek immediate medical attention if:
- Your eye pain is unusually severe
- Your vision changes suddenly or you have difficulty seeing clearly
- Your eye is too painful to touch
- You experience abdominal pain or vomiting along with your eye pain
- Your eye pain is caused by a foreign object or chemical splashed in your eye
- You see halos around lights
- Your eye bulges outward
- You have trouble moving your eye
If you have eye pain and you wear soft contact lenses, have a weakened immune system or your eye pain is worse after using medication for three days, you should also seek medical attention.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- Eye pain. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye_disorders/symptoms_of_ophthalmologic_disorders/eye_pain.html?qt=eye pain&alt=sh. Accessed Jan. 14, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil's Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Jan. 24, 2013.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 26, 2013.